By joining the Humanitarian project you will be involved in the educational activities of the children of the local San community on the farm. This project combines basic pre-school education, life skills as well as an awareness of conservation. This combination of essential skills will allow the San people to move forward and have a better chance of adapting to modern civilization.
Your role as a volunteer
- work at the school and day care center
- teach hygiene and good nutrition
- visit surrounding schools
- take the school children on nature educational excursions
- participate in an adult literacy program
- arrange activities such as:
- Nature walks to collect pods, seeds and feathers for crafting and to identify animals
- Visits to the camp kitchen where the kids will get the chance to prepare their own barbeque and foods (stick bread, meat, poitjiekos etc).
- Fun day and sports competition (painting and drawing, face painting)
- Game drives
- Project prior to your departure which may include a concert, soccer cup, a play, art exhibition etc.
The minimum required stay is 2 weeks and up to a maximum of 3 months. We recommend that you stay longer than two weeks to make the most of your experience, and to be able to bond with the local community. The humanitarian project allows a maximum of 3 volunteers at a time. Accommodation for volunteers joining this project will be in our units at the school or volunteer village.
Do I need experience: Yes.
- We will need a detailed CV outlaying qualifications, accompanied by copies of certificates relevant to the project.
- If you are still studying, we require a registration form or letter from the university or college, proving that you are studying towards the relevant degree. This needs to be accompanied by a report of your academic achievements (grades).
- Confirmation of placement is subject to approval by the sanctuary management and availability.
- Any person between the age of 18 and 40 years is encouraged to apply.
- There is no specific booking date.
- You can select any dates (minimum of 2 weeks) starting on a Friday and ending on a Thursday. Your stay can be extended up to 3 months.
- Complete and submit the booking form electronically.
- Once we have received your booking form you will be pre-booked on the project and be sent a confirmation letter.
- After receiving the deposit, your place on the project is secured.
- You will be sent an application form for a work visa which has to be returned to the office of Eko Tracks at least 2 months prior to the start of the project.
Note: Volunteers have to be in possession of a work visa before being allowed into the country.
2 weeks US$1,300
3 weeks US$1,650
4 weeks US$1,950
Outstanding Amount: Payable 2 months prior to the commencement of the project. For stays longer than 4 weeks, contact our office.
- Work visa fees
- Transportation to and from the wildlife sanctuary
- Orientation and introductory training
- Accommodation at the sanctuary
- Three meals per day during your volunteering
- Supervised volunteer project
- Scheduled activities on the farm
- International roundtrip airfare to Namibia
- Airport transfer to and from Windhoek (40 min drive)
- One night’s accommodation prior to the volunteer project
- Travel and medical insurance (compulsory)
- Communication (phone calls, emails)
- Optional tours
- Personal expenses