Rhino Rangers – Coming soon
This unique opportunity allows volunteers to experience and learn from the daily activities of the Anti-Poaching Unit. In today’s world these efforts are of increasing importance to ensure the survival of all wildlife species. Based on the 7,600 ha reserve lying adjacent to the wildlife sanctuary, as a Rhino Rangers you will follow a fixed 14 night schedule where you will spend time out in the bush together with our Anti-Poaching Unit joining them on their patrols, learning about bush survival, tracking skills and the use of firearms.
A maximum of 8 volunteers will be allowed at a time who will be split in two camps. The groups will stay in a tented camp or sleep outs in the bush at observation points. Volunteers need to bring their own sleeping bag, pillow and camping towel. Food rations will be provided and cooked together with the Anti-Poaching Unit. Two special uniforms will be provided per person as well.
All transfers to and from the site are included and volunteers need to arrive on the Sunday prior to the Monday start and plan their departure for the last Sunday of the schedule.
Items that are provided and are included in the price:
- Two green uniform sets (pants and shirts)
- Webbing (military equipment)
- Dixie set for cooking
- Plates, cups and cutlery
- Food rations
Items to be brought from home:
- Neutral colour clothing (green, olive, brown)
- Comfortable walking shoes (hiking boots)
- Neutral colour bush hat
- Neutral colour rain coat
- Sleeping bag
- Knife – multitool
- Small first aid kit
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- 60 ltr back pack (large)
- 25 – 35 ltr back pack (small hiking pack)
- Any survival gear you want to test or use (compass, ghillie suit, night vision lens)
- Free airport transfers to and from the sanctuary at the start and conclusion of the project (only on Mondays & Thursdays)
- Accommodation at all the sites (bedding, linen and towel provided, twin or triple tent & laundry service).
- Three meals a day. Meals at the sanctuary are prepared by staff.
- Three uniform t-shirts per person
- Electronic certificate (printed copy on request)
- Transportation to and from the research site
- Transportation on-site
- Project orientation and training
- All activities
- Full time staff members to supervise and support interns
- Academic supervision and project management
- Field guides on site
- Survey equipment, radio telemetry equipment, camera traps
- International round trip airfare
- Travel and medical insurance (compulsory)
- Tourist visa may apply
- Communication (WiFi, phone calls, emails)
- Optional tours
- Personal expenses